This one-hour special marks the 20th anniversary of Sesame Street, the ground-breaking educational children's series that has taught numbers and the alphabet, along with social and cultural concepts, to generations of preschoolers.
Hosted by Bill Cosby, the retrospective includes appearances by Muppet characters Big Bird, Grover, the Count, Kermit the Frog, and Bert and Ernie, as well as Sesame regulars Bob, Gordon,Susan, Maria, and Luis, and many others. Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson introduce the show and promote The Jim Henson Hour, which would air the following week.
The program illustrates the changing topics and techniques that have blended entertainment with education over the years, and features classic clips from past episodes as well as the recollections of those responsible for making the series a success and viewers who grew up watching the show.
Among the highlights are Ray Charles and a chorus of Muppet monsters singing "It's Not Easy Bein' Green" by Joe Raposo; a discussion between series creator Joan Ganz Cooney and Jim Henson; clips from international versions of the series; and famed tenor Placido Domingo performing with his Muppet counterpart,Placido Flamingo.
The special ends with a memoriam to Joe Raposo, who composed music for the special but died two months before it aired. For his last project with Jim Henson, Raposo wrote two original songs, "What a Bird!" and "Look Through the Window." His classic Sesame Street songs including the theme and "Sing" are also highlighted.
- Executive Producer: Jim Henson
- Executive Producer for CTW: Dulcy Singer
- Director: Peter Harris
- Writers: Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss
- Host: Bill Cosby
- Guests: Ray Charles and Placido Domingo
- Muppet Performers: Caroll Spinney: Jim Henson Frank Oz Jerry Nelson Kevin Clash Martin P. Robinson Richard Hunt Pam Arciero:Karen Prell Kathryn Mullen Rick Lyon Rickey Boyd Gabriel Velez Michael Earl Noel MacNeal, Judy Sladky David Rudman Fran Brill Camille Bonora Bryant Young Jim Kroupa
- Cast: Emilio Delgado, Sonia Manzano, Bob McGrath, Loretta Long, Roscoe Orman, Miles Orman, Linda Bove, Bill McCutcheon, Alison Bartlett, Northern Calloway
- Music: Joe Raposo
Muppet Characters (speaking)Edit
- Big Bird Elmo Ernie Bert Barkley Natasha Herry Monster Grover Cookie Monster Snuffy Alice Snuffleupagus Prairie Dawn Ruby Don Music Telly Monster, Count von Count, Kermit the Frog Placido Flamingo,
- Background Characters (non-speaking)
- AM Monsters Amazing Mumford Anything Muppets Buster the Horse Sonny Friendly, Forgetful Jones Frazzle, Gladys the Cow Grundgetta Two-Headed Monster Kermit the Forg Clancy